Friday, June 25, 2010

A Linguistic Pet Peeve

You know what bugs me? People who use the word "fail" as a noun, as in "Obama? FAIL." How cliquish and cutesy and "nettish" can you get? It's started popping up all over the place (on the internet, of course), and I hope it doesn't extend far beyond it. Those kinds of deformations are really, really annoying because they mean absolutely nothing and they're just insulting. You can't just say, "That sucks?" I am NOT in favor of the "movement" that says language has to get more and more compact until it barely exists anymore. Words are beautiful things, and cramming them into tiny little electronic containers so they'll fit on a text messaging screen or whatever is just ridiculous. It takes me hours to send a text message, and my system doesn't have all the punctuation I need. It's like censorship!

It's a very frat boy kind of thing to do, that kind of mentality where everything has to be cute and uniform and everybody has to be alike. I've never lived that way, and never will. Well, I play a corporate cog at work…

No comments:

Post a Comment