Thursday, August 12, 2010

Wow

I finally saw KICK-ASS. I bought it last week when it came out, but didn't have time to watch it until now. Those of you who know me know I'm not prone to exaggeration, but it may be the best piece of action cinema I've ever seen in my life. Period. It may be the perfect film - it has deep character development, great stunts and effects, beautiful cinematography, and an edge like nothing you've ever seen. Yes, it's INCREDIBLY violent (which I don't usually like) and it's INCREDIBLY profane (there's a 10 year old girl who cusses like a sailor), but it has a depth and a reach that are unparalleled by anything I've seen in years. It's definitely not politically correct, and if you only watch Disney films you want to stay FAR away from it. But I'd suggest that you don't. It actually made me cry numerous times, and action movies aren't supposed to do that, and I don't cry at the drop of a hat. It's a truly beautiful film, and the fact that it wasn't a gigantic hit only underscores the fact that Hollywood is so careful and so homogenized. Just when you think the film is going to go one direction, it shifts gears on you and does something you don't expect. Are the good guys really good, or is that relative? Is it noble to kill the bad guys? We do it in war every day and explain it away; can superheroes do it? It sounds silly to say so, but this film made me want to be a superhero, just like KICK-ASS. It inspired me. It amazed me. It takes the whole superhero genre (which I happen to like) and turns it upside down. It's funny and wild and crazy and a little sentimental. It's a literal thrill ride, and all the performances are outstanding. They go WAY over the top, and they own it. I never read the comics, but now I want to. It's just simply amazing, and I may post a more intelligent review down the road. For right now, though, as the credits roll, I feel absolutely exhilarated. Action films never do that for me; they always leave me cold because they're more about explosions than people. This film is about flawed people who want to make a difference, or avenge wrongs. I truly feel transformed from watching this film, and again, I don't exaggerate very often. If you want to see a film that pulls out all the stops and "goes there," see it. It's amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment